Sexually Transmitted Diseases via Facebook
Short, concise description of the idea
Simulate the spread of real sexually transmitted diseases through a Facebook application.
Full description of the idea
Facebook.com is a popular social networking site that allows users to reproduce or construct relationships in the digital realm. However, there is one important aspect of real-life social interaction that is currently not adequately represented: sexually transmitted diseases. I would like to use the new "applications" API to introduce STDs to the world of social networking on the internet.
An ordered list of benefits
- It would be a more realistic analogy to real life.
- Perhaps some sociologically relevant information could be gathered from observing the spread of the STDs.
- Maybe it would raise awareness of the real-life risks.
- It would be funny to me.
An ordered list of problems/issues involved
- The sociological information might not actually be that relevant because fucking someone through Facebook is a pretty different proposition than fucking them in real life.
- Surprisingly, there don't seem to be many sexually-themed applications on Facebook right now, so they might have some kind of policy against it or something.
- Once people found out about the diseases, they might stop using the application.
An organized list, or a few short paragraphs detailing suggestions for implementation
Create an application disguised as an innocuous sex thing that adds a "Sexually attracted to this person? Fuck them!" link to users' profiles. A randomly selected¹ few of the first users who add the application could have flags set for one (or more!) of a wide variety of sexually transmitted diseases. Whenever they use the application to fuck someone else, or someone else uses it on them, there should be a chance of spreading that disease to the other person. That chance should be based on the real-life infectiousness of the disease, as well as factors determined by the fucking -- that is, when you decide to fuck someone, you should be presented with a fairly thorough list of sexual activities, and you can pick and choose which ones to perform, and this can increase or decrease the risk of infection. (Much like friend details, the person you're trying to fuck would have to "provide consent" by confirming these, unless you check a rape box.) Information about the spread of the diseases would be collected for statistical purposes.
Users infected with a disease would never explicitly be told that they have it; instead, they would just sometimes receive notifications of symptoms such as a peculiar burning sensation while urinating (these notifications should, of course, be as accurate to the real diseases as possible). It should also be possible for some of the infected people to show no symptoms at all, but still spread the disease to others.
Hopefully by now you get the idea. The goal is simply to simulate real STDs to the greatest extent that Facebook applications will allow. I'm open to changes or additional features as long as they bring us closer to that goal.
What do you think, sirs?
1. As an alternative to randomly selecting them, it might be fun to base these initial disease-spreaders on who we think is the most likely to have the diseases in real life.